There are literally hundreds of places to stay in Seminyak. Varying from little hideaways in secluded villas, or increasingly in large hotels on the busier roads through the once quaint town. So when you’re looking for the perfect place to stay, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the abundance of options. I think the most important thing to consider -other than location or price- is if you’re travelling with a larger group, as a couple, or by yourself.
To start with the latter: I would definitely consider staying at Ize Seminyak or a hotel in a similar busy location if I was travelling by myself. I like to be able to walk outside and find everything I need, from shops to spa’s and restaurants, without having to take a taxi or hop on a scooter. But if I was travelling with a larger group, like a family with parents and kids, I would definitely opt for a villa. Now, there is no word misused more in the travel industry than the word ‘villa’, except perhaps for the words ‘fast internet.’ Seminyak has hundreds of villas, which can range from everything between a hut with knapsack, to a Balinese version of Buckingham Palace like Chandra Villas.
We were extremely spoiled to stay at Chandra Villas in a villa with three bedrooms and three bathrooms, although we were only travelling as a couple.
Here is why I loved staying at Chandra Villas:
- 9 truly luxurious villas, which means that there are enough professional staff members to take care of my every needs, including a personal villa manager, without feeling like I was staying in an unpersonal mass tourism resort
- every villa has a different style with a unique personality, which I really like
- friendly people: Bali is famous for its friendly spirit and the staff at Chandra has taken great effort to only work with the kindest people you can ever meet
- flower bath… I am a Dutch girl and I just adore flowers, especially when they were laid out in the large outdoor bathtub when I arrived!!
- a lovely breakfast prepared by the cooks daily, at a time I could request, in my own villa
- wonderful massage, again, in my own villa, set to relaxing music over the house speakers, which I loved because afterwards I didn’t have to travel anywhere anymore: I was already at home!
- a beautifully laid out pool, because although I am not quite the Olympic swimmer, it was really nice to swim in a pool where I could actually swim some laps without having to change direction every 5 seconds.
Chandra Villas is the place to stay if you are looking for a boutique villa experience, at a small scale but with all the services and amenities that a large resort could provide, at a very good location in Seminyak. Since it’s a little off the main streets, it’s quiet enough that you can truly relax. Yet, you can easily walk to the shops and restaurants on Oberoi Street, or to the beach near Gado Gado and La Plancha. Not that you really need to walk anywhere: the villa staff will drive you anywhere you want to go.