I may have overused the phrase ‘this place was on my bucket list’ lately, but when it comes to Tokyo it is actually an understatement. I have wanted to go to Tokyo for a long, long time and when I finally did a few weeks ago, it did not disappoint! Tokyo is one of the most fantastic places I have ever visited. Every neighbourhood is different and has its own distinctive character and charm. There are surprises around every street corner. I could name at least 50 reasons why I love Tokyo, so let me pick the top 10:
- Fashion heaven: scroll through the many high quality vintage stores and run into Harajuku girls with their amazing outfits.
- High-tech toilets: their control panel looks like a smartphone but they control heated seats, blow hot air and stream warm water, not necessarily in that order.
- Unlimited quirkiness: from robot restaurants to the cuddliest cafés where you can have tea while petting a cat or owl of your choice.
- Dog walking heaven: not only are there designated, fenced off dog walking areas in Tokyo, they are categorized based on your dog’s weight so the pooches can find playmates in their own weight class!
- Magical convenience stores: these so called Konbini stock everything you really need, 24 hours a day, from freshly made foods to useful services like reserving travel tickets or paying utility bills.
- Shibuya crossing: known as the the busiest intersection in the world where almost 1000 cross without running into each other, looks like an enormous, fully orchestrated ballet every minute. And it’s home to the Hachiko statue to commemorate a dog’s never ending loyalty!
- The people: courteous to a fault, friendly, respectful, the reason why a thousand people can cross an intersection without so much as a touch.
- Yes, sushi: but there is so much more, from cheap ramen and yakitori to exquisite teppanyaki, Japan probably has the most diverse food culture in the world.
- Cleanliness: this has to be the cleanest capital in the world and it is surely the safest, amazing never having to worry about your safety in a city of millions.
- Vending-machine culture: there are more vending machines in Tokyo than in any other city in the world, offering anything from soda’s to ramen and from underwear to umbrellas.
We took these pictures while wandering around Tokyo. The temperature was fluctuating quite a bit, so I opted for layering pieces. The green coat by Iam Studio is timeless and very wearable throughout the year, easy to dress up with a pretty dress and high heels or down, like I did, combining it with a pair of high waist H&M jeans and a cosy jumper by Storm and Marie. I paired it with my Kapten & Son watch, Smaak Amsterdam bag and my most comfortable Nike sneakers. They’re almost as comfortable as a pair of slippers and I can walk on them for days. Which I actually did in Tokyo, even hitting the 10 mile mark on one day!
All my pictures are made with:
Canon 750D + Lens: 16 – 35mm F2.8 & 50 mm F1.8
72 thoughts on “10 reasons why I love Tokyo”
This is so cute! I’ve always wanted to go to Japan! I’m super jealous
I love your list, Tokyo (and Japan in general) seems like an awesome place to visit 🙂
I’m desperate to go to Tokyo, it looks incredible. Gorgeous photos!
loved reading this post – so insightful and love your pictures !
This look is amazing! Hope you are having a fabulous start of the year. xx
Tokyo looks like such a cool place to visit! Thanks for sharing babe! Hope you had a great start to the year!
xoxo Rina Samantha
These reasons make me even more want to go to Tokyo! That’s definitely on my list!
Beautiful pictures and coat!
These are excellent reasons to love Tokyo! Would love to visit there sometime and you have such great style. Love the green coat! x
Ann-Marie | http://facetocurls.com
This is very nice. Thanks for sharing
Tokyo is such a cool city, I would love to go there sometime!
Reading this, I really think I need to put Tokyo in my travel list. The pink backdrop of the picutres is sooo cool! Really beautiful post dear! Thank you a lot for your last comment on my blog : )
Sending much love!
Rosa Larissa Klara
conscious lifestyle of mine
I’d love to visit! Great photos 🙂
Beautiful photos! xoxo
I love the green coat! I’m sure Tokyo is a wonderful place to visit! Thanks for sharing!
Love the coat…the color is beautiful. Nice post! I like the dog walking setup. I would love to visit there at some point.
I can imagine how unique and different Tokyo is from other places. You look really beautiful. This green coat looks made just for you.
Tokyo is one on my bucket list. It sounds like a fascinating city.
P.S. I love that green coat.
Interesting, I would normally not think that Tokyo is a good dog walking city!
I totally did not post that Insta picture on purpose, I just thought I had my blog link copied clearly and wasn’t paying attention haha!
Tokyo has been on my travel list for a while now – it just sounds so incredible! Love your outfit as well! xx
I would love to go to Tokyo! So fun. Happy weekend!
I would love to go back to Tokyo, I did not spend enough time there. Also can I say… dreamy coat
PlayingWithApparel.com | Instagram
This inspires me to visit Tokyo 🙂
My husband and I plan to go to Tokyo on my 30th birthday! Can’t wait. I love the culture, the fashion, and YES! The vending machines! xD
I wish I will visit Tokyo one day! I love your photos. Thank you for sharing them!
I really really want to visit Tokyo, I’m sure it is an amaying place!
The pics look so cute, love this pinky color!
Tokyo is one of the most amazing city I ever visited! I love that anything unexpected can happen anytime!
I would love to visit Tokyo someday!
Your coat is gorgeous x
Jessica — NinetyCo
Tokyo seems really amazing. Haha’ I understand your Top 2 for the toilets, in Korea really enjoyed the heated seat. ☺
It’s so nice to visit a city when it’s really clean there. I definitely want to visit Tokyo.☺
I love your green coat by the way.
Tokoyo must be such an adventure! Thanks for this post as I have never been there!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
oh, Tokyo ❤
and I ❤ your outfit. 🙂 hihi
LA || WANDERINGPOSH
I have never been to Tokyo but these are great reasons to visit .
You look amazing.
Nina’s Style Blog
Loved this post, Tokyo is at the very top of my travel list. It sounds like such an amazing place. I also love your outfit here especially that bag it’s really unusual. Have a great day!
Great post and love your outfit! I’ve always wanted to travel to Tokyo!
Oh wow! It must have been so cool to visit Tokyo. It is on my bucket list as well. I would adore sight seeing and people watching.
Tomigaya! Nice choice of locale for the shoot.
Obsessed with these pics! I love Tokyo too and you could not be more beautiful!
Love this post. I’m planning to visit Tokyo later this year and certainly will take your recommendations!
I am so inspired by your post to travel to Japan! I’ve been anticipating my trip there this year (Seoul + Tokyo) and just by the sound of it I’m already so excited! If only I can bring my pooch with me and walk in those fenced areas, that would be ideal :). Thanks for the lovely share Merel, indeed Tokyo is one of the liveliest place on earth! 🙂 xo~ Lena
U look so beautiful and clear and stylish ❤ I really love it ❤
Also that coat amazing
I love that long coat! Such a subtle statement piece. Thanks for sharing the reasons you love Tokyo, too! It seems like a very vibrant, interesting place.
Kathryn • simplykk.com
Loving your outfit babe! I need to visit Tokyo soon! Your reasons are really enticing me ❤ xo, sharon
Exactly every reason I love Japan too! And I love their impeccable packaging for everything!! Super cute outfit btw!
Amazing post and insights about Tokyo, as I really want to visit soon! Wishing you a wonderful 2017 full of adventures babe!
Nice outfit, I love it!
Tokyo is definitely on my list of places to visit. It looks like an enchanting place!
love your style
Tokyo sounds so awesome! I would loveeeee the sushi! Great look as well – that coat is awesome!
Don’t forget to join the Fashion Frenzy Linkup Wednesday!
Oh, I so want to visit Japan one day and experience all the culture and food and busy streets! And to see Hachiko’s statue, for sure! Gosh, how I loved that story..
Awesome pics, I bet you had a great time there.